Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Years Resolutions

You know, it’s almost too depressing to even write down. Same thing every year ---- lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier, blah blah blah. It’s exhausting, repeating myself like this every year and then dragging around the weight of the guilt and shame of never actually doing it. What? What’s that you say? The weight of shame doesn’t actually WEIGH anything? So dragging it around *isn’t* technically exercise? Well, crap, no wonder I’m not losing anything --- I thought that counted as a cardio activity!

I also vow every New Years that I will try harder to be organized, not let clutter overtake my life, and not be so discouraged by the never-ending piles of laundry. Now that last one, I think I have a handle on this time. Although I was moaning and complaining about the expense of having to buy a brand-new washer and dryer two weeks before Christmas, I can say, after using them for a few weeks, that they are fabulous. I can wash loads twice as big, and dry them in half the time. Plus my utility room is nice sized in this house so I’m not hitting my head on the dryer door when I bend over or bumping my big fat rear against the washer whenever I turn around. In fact, next to my pantry, the utility room might be my favorite room in this house --- I’ll have to share pictures so you guys can truly know the depths of my goober-ness.

But back to the weight thing. As I was stuffing my face last week with all the chocolate and carb-y wonderfulness that is Christmas, I asked myself, “What can I do this year that will be different? That will encourage me to actually stick with a diet and exercise plan past the 2nd of January? That will motivate me to in fact GET ON the treadmill, instead of telling myself that since it’s upstairs, by the time I get up there I’ve already exercised enough?”

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the fact that this past Sunday, I had to wear maternity pants to church. MATERNITY PANTS. And I’m NOT PREGNANT. I’ve just gained so much weight that none of my dress slacks fit me. All one pair of them, that is. Obviously, I haven’t gone shopping for church clothes in the past twenty pounds few years, and it’s time to either hit the mall, or the gym.

(sigh) You know which one I want to choose, don’t you? Is it that transparent?

In the meantime, I’ve dvr’d The Biggest Loser tonight. I’m going to go sit in the living room, watch tv, and eat all the leftover spice drops from our Gingerbread House Making Extravaganza this afternoon. Hey, if I eat *enough* spice drops, maybe I’ll eventually qualify as a contestant on the show ……

Seriously. I have no idea why I have a weight problem.

Happy New Year to you, too.

PS. I didn’t journal about it because I got completely freaking overwhelmed with the move and the house and the new school and the unpacking and good heavens I’m going to have a nervous breakdown busy with the holidays, but Blaine and I attended the TSO concert last Saturday. I love, love, love that band and normally play their music on my site the entire month of December. However, I think I must have let the domain name where I store my music expire because all of a sudden I can’t upload music or access the site anymore, and quite frankly, I’m so computer-challenged that to sit down and figure it out is more than I can undertake right now. But for a hysterical and VERY TRUE account of the concert, go here and scroll down to her Dec 21st entry. She is right on the money and I laughed the entire time I was reading it.

Now, where are those spice drops?

12 comments:

Leeann said...

Hon,

I totally hear you. If it weren't for elastic waist pants from LL Bean and sweatpants, I would be totally screwed. And naked. Which would cause all kinds of celibacy shock waves around the world.

A bit of good news for you though. I'm having a contest at my blog right now and I know at least part of it will be right up your alley.
Make sure to swing by before Friday and check it out.

Hugs,
Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

Loralee Choate said...

I think that my New Year's Resolution should be to have my resolutions not include organization, cleaning, or weight loss.

Sigh...

Anonymous said...

My resolutions usually involve flossing my teeth. It's cheap and easy.

Watched Biggest Loser premiere tonight. . .eating a bowl of popcorn. I know it's so wrong. Setting my alarm to get up early tomorrow and exercise before the kids go to school. Wonder how that will go???

Monica H said...

Happy New Year and I love TSO too. Although my Mom is a bigger fan.

I want pics of hte gingerbread house. I've always wanted to make one, but I'm sure all the crap I would buy would cost a fortune! And I don't like gingerbread, but I'd love to see yours anyway :)

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous you got to go to the concert. They were in San Jose the night before Thanksgiving and I didn't have anyone to go with :O( It is from your site that I have come to appreciate the TSO!! :O)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!

Cathy
Santa Clara, CA

heartshapedhedges said...

Oh boy, I am totally with you.

I DID watch the Biggest Loser, even ventured online to find out how to apply for the next show (but never found it)...so, I just watched the show with my friends, Ben and Jerry (heath bar, baby!)...kinda pathetic, but ....

And, Ive got a can of fudge, an almost empty container of spice drops, a large jar of jelly bellys, some bridge mix, chocolate covered honeycombe, and christmas colored candy corn.....all out on my counter, free for the taking, a reach here and nibble there, all darn day long. I thought about just throwing it away, but that seems wasteful. Of course, my kids are lucky if they get a "special treat" of picking out to jelly bellys.....so....that's a disaster for my new year!

We heard TSO a few times this year. Andrew always perked up and said, "turn this up, I love this song"..and I told him that this is Kendrie's mom's favorite band :)

Hope your new year is fantastic, at least it sounds like you have the laundry issue under wraps...mine is still an ever growing blob....

btw, how are things going with Blaine's upkeep on his sugeries and stuff? Hope he is feeling less pain and getting to sleep more.

heartshapedhedges said...

Forgot to mention, that I still wear my maternity clothes. My "wardrobe" (two pairs of pants and a few t-shirts) is 95% maternity.

If I had the money to go to the mall, I wouldnt want to buy any of the clothes that fit me...helloooo, Lane Bryant, big girls shouldnt wear giant floral prints and sleeveless shirts.......and, I need shirts that cover my muffin top.

Erin said...

I hear you about resolutions....:D

Glad you got to see TSO (although totally jealous too!)

Anonymous said...

yeah I said that too and I am sitting on my butt replying to blogs and eating pumpkin pie with a half of tub of cool whip!

Anonymous said...

yay BL is the best! I am totally committed this year, honest.... well, I am going to try (again) anyway, to get into all my cute clothes! haha!

Crystal said...

I got linked. BY YOU. I GOT LINKED BY YOU.

I am happy in my pants. In ways that I won't mention.

Anonymous said...

Kristie...you're not alone! Every single year I'm going to eat healthier, exercise more, lose weight...blah blah blah. Never happens. So do you want to know what my resolution is this year?! To not get any fatter.

Of course ideally I will eat healthier, exercise more, and lose weight. BUT if at the end of the year I weigh the same that I did on 1/1/08...I will consider it a success.

:)

Abbie
DSM, IA