Thursday, January 10, 2008

With This Ring …..

A year or two ago, after Blaine had radiation, he went through this weird sort of “swollen” phase. His hands, his fingers; even his feet and ankles. For months and months, pretty much, he looked like me at about eight months pregnant. And while we could laugh at the indentions around his ankles that his socks would leave, he did hate the fact that he had to stop wearing his wedding ring. He hadn’t gained any weight (which is the reason why *my* wedding ring doesn’t fit me anymore, and why now I just wear my anniversary band on my left hand) but still, that twenty-year old ring wouldn’t go even past his knuckle. And I guess maybe the joints expanded or something, because even after the swelling finally went away, the ring still didn’t fit.

He asked for a new wedding band for Christmas this year, so that’s what I bought him. He had been carrying his old band around, attached to his key chain. After he got the new ring he took the old ring off the key chain and set it on the windowsill under the kitchen window. He mentioned casually that he didn’t know what to do with the old ring, and I said to definitely keep it, that I might like to wear it on a chain sometime. Which sparked the following conversation:

Kendrie: Well, can I have it?

Blaine: What do you want my old wedding ring for?

Kendrie, in total seriousness: To give to Nicholas.

Blaine (practically snorted with laughter): No, you can not have my first wedding ring to give to Nicholas!

Kendrie: Well, then, could you take me shopping so I can get him a new ring?

Kristie: Kendrie, why do you want to buy him a ring? Isn’t that sort of a grown-up gift?

Blaine: No, honey, I don’t think you need to send Nicholas a ring, new OR old.

Kendrie paused, and just looked at us like we had no good common sense, before replying: Mom, Dad, he’s READY for Phase Two!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is rare! Poor old Nicholas just doesn't have a chance.

Anonymous said...

haha! well, Kristie, looks like your little tomboy is a girly girl after all! she has the wedding bug now, at this young age, so you are in for some fun later! :)

scanmom said...

Kristie, that's hilarious. I agree, I think you're in for a lot of fun in about 5 years!!!

www.caringbridge.org/mi/sammijean

Mamasita said...

This literally had me LOL! A woman who knows her man!

Monica H said...

HA! I just "practically snorted with laughter" too!

Anonymous said...

Forget the saying "Out of sight, out of mind." Those 2 are bound for life!

Unknown said...

That is so hilarious! I'm curious,how many phases are there.. do they correspond? E-mail, letters, phone?

I wish Kendrie had a blog so we could eavesdrop on this budding romance.

Anonymous said...

That child cracks me up. :-) Phase 2, eh? I can hardly wait to hear about Phase 3, ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing. This is not good as I am reading your blog while my students are taking an exam. Yes, I know what the hell am I doing on the computer at work. I can't help it....I'm an addict and need my fix. This is not good. Couldn't you post before 7am???? :)

Mixed Up Me said...

Oh dear . . .

Anonymous said...

LOL! That's absolutely hilarious

Amy said...

I gained so much weight with my last baby that I had to have my wedding ring cut off. After I got it fixed and started wearing it again I lost the diamond. So tell Kendrie that rings aren't everything.

Leece said...

Maybe Blaines wedding ring could be resized and fitted with a stone for you?

Kelly said...

Oh wow. A girl after my own heart! My two year old said, several month back, "I need diamonds!!"

Anonymous said...

Oh, you and Blaine are in for some fun in a few years. I bet Kendrie will want to vacation in Georgia just to see her Nicholas. Anxious to hear about the other "phases."

Lisa L said...

That was perfectly, beautifully adorable! Sweet Kendrie...and what a lucky boy Nicholas is :)...Lis

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristie,

That is just soooo sweet!! Dear little Kendrie! But I'd like to know too how she knows he is ready for phase 2 and what actually happens in phase 2 anyway?

Take care, Angela

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you actually didn't finish the conversation regarding Kendrie's explanation about "Phase 2" - cause I KNOW you asked!!! We are waiting.....randy

Anonymous said...

Kristie, I told Nicholas the conversation after his basketball game, you know I didn't want him to be distracted. I only wish I had a camera when the HUGE smile came across his fase. I said, Nicholas, what is Phase II, he smiled big again and said I don't know. He later asked, "Mommy, do you know what Phase II is?" I politely answered No. Maybe Kendrie is the only one who knows what Phase II is. Maybe you should write her and ask. He said he plans on writing this weekend. P.S. He sent Kendrie a B-Day invitation, but then said, Mommy I don't think she'll be able to make it. Grandma J - they do call, Kendrie has written and you know how boys are, we're trying to get him to write.... I truly think these two are destined to be together, its been since Pre-K so far! They truly are adorable together. Kristie, still working on getting some info from my dad before I can email the detail of you know.!

Anonymous said...

Phase II ???!!???
Too funny!! I can just see her face when she is telling you all this. We used to make wedding rings out of tin foil and get married at recess in elementary school. Takes me back...

Love Erin R