Saturday, November 24, 2007

These Boots

It snowed here last night. For about a minute and a half. My kids were hysterical joyful, and insisted on going out today to buy boots and gloves and hats for when we start walking to school on Monday. Only the fact that the snow melted as soon as it hit the ground kept me from having to buy sleds and toboggans as well, thank goodness.

So off we went to Wal-Mart this afternoon. (Only because it is closer to my mother's house than Target.) Where I discovered an entire aisle of cute and fashionable winter shoes. Well, as fashionable as you can be, buying footware just one aisle over from motor oil and dishtowels and hamster food. The kind of winter shoes they just don't need to sell in Georgia. So it was actually quite fun.

I also discovered that my 10-yr old daughter is now in a size 9 ladies shoe.

At first I was all, "What the hell? I JUST BOUGHT you new shoes two weeks ago and you were in an eight and a half ---- how are you ALREADY in NINE????!!"

Then I was all, "Oh, my poor precious baby is getting so big! How is it possible when only yesterday she was teething and I was rocking her in my rocking chair and she threw up all down the front of my shirt and now her giant Bigfoot feet are in a size 9 .... I just blinked, and my baby is grown .... how did this happen!?!?!" {weeping}

And then I was all, "Hot damn! She's in the same size as me now, so that means I can totally borrow those cute boots! Woo-hooooooo!"

And then we went and ate Chinese food, and then had ice cream.

Perhaps I should have purchased a 9 WIDE.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are in the same part of the country as us. Woo hoo! The boys loved our 5 minutes of snow on Thanksgiving. Tried to tell them to enjoy it since we won't see it again for 4 years or so!

Sunny said...

Kristie, you are a hoot! Sounds like y'all are getting settled in Oklahoma (probably spelled that wrong)

Sunny

Unknown said...

I hated Walmart when I lived in SoCA, but it seems to be a whole different selection here in TX.

I also hate to say it but the word WIDE has become common place in my wardrobe selections.

And finally...I wear my granddaughter's shoes when I want to feel "hot" :)

Leece said...

Guess you're not the 'displaced Okie' you describe in your blog intro any more...if you're not displaced does that mean you're replaced? :)) Can't wait to hear about the kids first days at school. Love and prayers.

M said...

If your Big foot were to marry my BIG Foot their children would have size 22 feet! Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Where bouts in OK are you? My uncle/aunt/cousin live in Chickasha and were here in SC for Thanksgiving. They're trucking it back to OK this weekend but are looking to relocate here to SC in a few years.
I'm glad everyone in your clan made it safe & sound. Hope everything goes as planned tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Please tell Brayden that although her shoes may not be "safe" from her mother, they are from me - I'm still a six 6 1/2. But, I know what you mean {{{sigh}}}....my son is in a size 10 mens shoe. And, he's now taller than I (and therefore, much more difficult to "stare down")....did I mention that he's only 13?? His father is 6'8", so no telling just where he'll stop - although I'm still hoping that some of my short genes are in there somewhere.......

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the Central Time Zone!

And yeesh, that girl had big feet :)

Xo,

~Jadine

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP! Size 9???? Are 10 year olds suspossed to wear ladies shoe sizes? ok I will try to stop freaking out now.
Wish the kids a great day at their new school for me.

Love ya,
M

cakeburnette said...

Hey, I wore a size 7 in the sixth grade. But remember, I was a teeny-tiny little Asian girl, so I was like 4 feet tall with these disproportionately big feet. They didn't grow any more and I can still wear the Bass Weejuns I had in the 6th grade...except that I drew flowers and kites on them for some weird reason.

Anonymous said...

Come on Brayden...one more size and you can toss me your hand me downs...forget Mom! :) Glad to hear all is well. Called to wish the kids good luck for tomorrow, but missed you. Must have been ordering your ice cream...is it at your yummy place???
A little jealous of your snow...and your ice cream. Hope all is super tomorrow! xoxo Kim

Caroline said...

I think I hit a size 9 around 10 years old, too. I finally stopped at a 10.5 - 11. Those are some BIG feet she has! My boyfriend is 6'9" and he wears a 16 shoe. I think my children are going to be certified GIANTS. Tell Brayden that PayLess always has good choices in bigger size shoes!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least Brayden isn't like me...I only wear a size 5 shoe (makes it hard to find anything to fit at all!) but unfortunately the rest of me isn't in proportion to them. I'm not some tiny, petite little thing; the rest of me is about a size 12/14, so I can't explain why my feet stayed so small. Looks a little odd, this big body perched on these little feet, and people comment on it all the time. To make it odder, my tiny little grandmother, who never weighed more than 85 lbs her whole life and came up to my chin, wore size 7. Go figure!

Anonymous said...

Time to hit the internet for renovation instructions! Boy, this is going to keep you busy for a long time. Also, you can watch my favorite channel - H>V for all kinds of ideas. Some of what you're saying can be done pretty cheap if you DIY. Lots of decorating ideas/paint colors/etc. at HGTV.com. What's hot right now - paint all trim, including baseboard, white. White cabinets in kitchen are also popular, and pretty timeless. Kitchen counter tops - one word: granite. If it already has hardwood floors, refinishing those will get you more rent money. Wall colors - check HGTV. Have fun!!!!!

Jennifer said...

HAHAHA! this post made me laugh sooo hard! I love your humor!!