Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fun Is ......

On a sunny Sunday afternoon, fun is .....

Watching a kid, determined to get up on a U-ski ....



Especially when he succeeds!



And then seeing the same thing happen to the one and only kid who couldn't manage the U-ski two summers ago, but got up her first try this time! (Well, the first try after the initial first try when she flopped around in the water pitching a holy fit like a dying fish when she couldn't fit her feet into the ski the first time around ....like the WORLD was coming to an end .... not that she's dramatic or anything I have no idea where she gets that .... )



Watching kids splash ....



Watching kids contort their bodies like dolphins, and knowing darn good and well that if that were YOU, you wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next morning ...




Watching my nephew ride his kneeboard ...



Watching the boys innertube ...




More specifically, watching my son squeal like a girl ...




OK, if I'm being honest, letting everyone on the boat watch ME squeal like a girl. Only honestly, I wasn't squealing, I was cracking up. With hysterical laughter. And then about two seconds after this picture was taken, I fell off the innertube because I have the upper body strength of a gnat and couldn't hold on and laugh at the same time. You know that 90 pound weakling who used to get sand kicked in his face at the beach? Yeah, *THAT* kid could beat me in an arm wrestling contest. As big as my arms are, there is deceptively little muscle in them.




Being grateful for water-proof casts ...




Watching one of my other nephews wakeboard ...




Watching my oldest nephew flash the peace sign to his friends on the shore ...




Watching him do tricks, and accepting the fact that not even in your younger, more agile days could you do this spin-around trick and not do a face plant right in the lake .... have you ever HAD lake water go right up your sinus cavity and into your brain? No? It's not the most pleasant sensation in the world, let me tell you.




Catching your very own fish with your very own bare hands ..... (don't even ask)




Having Aunt Kelly teach you to ski ...




I SAID ... having Aunt Kelly ....



.... teach you .....




.... to ski ......




... or .....




NOT.


But hey, he gets an "E" for effort, right?

Today's Fun included playing with the cousins, swimming at Grandma's pool, piano lessons, and a baseball game this evening. I swear, not only is all this fun seriously cutting into my blogging time, but it's exhausting as well.

15 comments:

cakeburnette said...

And this is why you moved back home! Thanks for letting us share in your memories--I get a huge smile on my face everytime you post something like this!

Anonymous said...

Aww! There really is no place like home is there? Those are some great pictures. And the fish- well, leave it to Kendrie! haha!

The Traveling Yogi said...

Those are some great pictures. Especially the one of Kendrie with the fish (umm... we need details on that story) and the action shots of "Aunt Kelley teaching Kellen to ski - or not". I love the captured facial expressions. Looks like you all are having a fun summer.

Hyzymom said...

I gotta tell you, I'm going to have to stop reading your blog this summer because you are totally making me feel like a horrendous mother! We've done Busch Gardens and the pool. The rest of the time I've listened to my 10 year old tell me how bored he is (The math workbooks are coming out next time he says it) and my 15 year old try and convince me why it's "totally okay" to let her ride around in a car with her friend and a boy I've never met so they can go and "hang out" at a different boy's (whom I've never met either) house and just watch movies and "stuff." Hello, does she not realize that I was once a teenager and even though she "swears" EVERONE is totally responsible and I don't need to worry - I have BEEN there and DONE THAT! God, please let school start SOON!

Denise said...

Kristie -

My daughter wants to know if she can come live with you as you guys are having WAY to much fun this summer!

Take Care,

Denise

Cindi said...

In the shot of you it looks like you're yelling "HELP!"

You're giving your kids so many memories....good for you!

Tammy said...

Oh the fun, just look at all you've been missing out on living in Georgia! I love all the pictures, great catch Kendrie! The picture of you Kristi on the tube is priceless, thanks for sharing ya'lls summer, I'm soo jealous! Hugs from Fort Worth. P.S. I bet your son can ski b/4 the summer is over, he did great for a 1st!

Anonymous said...

We need details on Kendrie's catch. We have a place on a lake and I love to tube, but I too, have NO arm strength. Our tubes are smaller and I just sit in the tube, backwards and hold on. It's a whole lot easier on your arms, and you never know when you are going to hit a wake and get knocked off. Try it!!! Oh, another plus is there is usually time to plug your nose before the waters slams you in the face!!

Anonymous said...

And it was every bit as fun as it looks!!! I promise.

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

Sounds exhausting and fun! Your pictures are beautiful!

Musings from Me said...

Sounds like you are having a fun summer back in your hometown. Waterskiing is fun...haven't done it in about 20 years...I was able to briefly get up on the skis. Boy, was it hard to do!

CAT said...

Hey Kristie,

THose pictures are awesome! I grew up water skiing non stop and hadn't done it for about 20 years and then two summers ago on our houseboat vacation I went water skiing again, I got up first try, had a blast but couldn't move for about 5 days after that, man you use every muscle imaginable...so much fun though!!!!

Have a great weekend,

Cathy

Anonymous said...

That looks like SO much fun!!! I'm totally jealous. Glad you can be around family and make these wonderful memories with the kiddos!

Lenaya

Anonymous said...

You cant post a picture of Kendrie catching a fish with her hands and then say "dont even ask"! You know we all want to hear about that one!

M~

Oh by the way...
got a pretty good picture of Kellen catching the garter at Lauren's wedding (well if my shot isnt blurry)

Anonymous said...

These pics are great! I especially love the "Aunt Kelly" pictures! So much fun! :o)