Monday, December 22, 2008

Much better

My sister's family was hit by a random stomach virus last week that felled all of them but one, with lots of throwing up during the final week of school before the holiday break. My comment to her, sympathy oozing from my very pores, was "keep your rotten germy cooties to yourself" ...

And when I woke up Thursday morning with a sore throat, all I could think was, "At least I'm not throwing up".

And when I woke up Friday morning with a worse sore throat and a cough, all I could thnk was "At least I'm not throwing up".

And when I woke up Saturday with a worse cough, and a general feeling of being "off", all I could think was, "At least I'm not throwing up".

When I woke up in the middle of the night Saturday night, with a very upset stomach (tmi, anyone?) all I could think was, "At least I'm not throwing up".

And the past forty-ish hours have been spent moving from sofa to bed, and bed to sofa, in a state of general malaise, complete with stomach cramps, aching joints, sensitive skin, a screaming headache, and a 101 degree fever. In the impeccable timing that is my life, Christmas is in three days and I still have shopping and baking left to do. My kids haven't purchased their gifts for one another, and I was *supposed* to baby-sit all day today for a friend who works.

But you know what? At least I wasn't throwing up.

And obviously I'm starting to feel recovered because I managed to find the strength tonight to yell at my kids for fighting.

Yep, much better.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dubed it the plauge hit our house on Saturday.

J-Quell'n said...

Feel better, Kristie! I hate to rub it in, but I am completely finished with my shopping. Have a nice Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you were. I thought of you today when the cahier at Walgreens held my bag, reciept and change hostage until she told me all about her Christmas plans, her upcoming wedding and the blessed event of her pregnancy.

I think after years of doing daycare and working in schools I immune to almost every common ailment. I haven't been really sick, save for sinus infections, in a long time. Now watch me get slammed for saying that, lol.

Healing vibes. Let the kids exchange cash with each other, they will find better bargains after Christmas anyhow.

Rita

Stacia said...

I just had surgery on Tuesday so I know what you are going through with the being out for the count when their is so much to do with the holidays.
Rest when you can and get things done as your body allows.
Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you! I haven't been this ill since as a child, but at least I am not throwing up!

Pam D said...

The 24-hour stomach virus stormed through our house at Thanksgiving, and while it lasted a little longer than 24 hours for my husband, it really did leave pretty quickly. And as much as I HATE throwing up, I think I'll take that over what sounds like the flu. Any day. Of course, tomorrow, when I wake up and start throwing up, I may take it back. Feel better... and enjoy Christmas, no matter what is or isn't under the tree. It's who is around the tree that really matters, as you well know.

Natalie said...

Yep, it's the year to get sick before Christmas. I don't have the flu, but just a head cold that has wiped me out. I wonder how germed up the cookies are I baked on Saturday???? Feel better soon!

Tammy said...

Glad to here you are on the mend, I was starting to wonder about you over there! See how much you are missed? Merry Christmas to all the Escoe's! Hugs from Fort Worth!

Anonymous said...

Ewww..... the nasty thing visited our house two weeks ago and brought with it 104.5 degree fever for my daughter. Glad your feeling better. Merry Christmas!

Vicki said...

I just got back to work today after I had that nasty virus. I did throw up but, only once and then I felt better, except for the awful headache that comes along with this illness. Now I'm just hoping my kids don't get it. Hope you all have a great Christmas.

Unknown said...

It never fails...we ALWAYS get sick over Christmas. *Sigh* I hope you are completely well soon!

Amy said...

I'm sure your family and friends will be much happier knowing that your sick self did not do any baking. Glad you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and glad you didn't throw up. That's the worst! Don't feel too bad about being behind. It's 6 pm Tuesday, I just finished my cookies. Got the shopping started and done last night. Still have to get groceries and clean house, my husband has shut off his phone and I can't get a hold of him, and my 2 year old nephew is due to spend the evening here in a short while. Don't think I'll be getting much done tonight. At least our family won't be coming until dinner time tomorrow!
Merry Christmas to all the Escoes!
Sheila-MN