Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I would still wear a poodle perm, that's why

I took Kendrie to the orthodontist today (Hello, Phase I! Goodbye, money!) A mom came in with her two teenage daughters and sat down next to us. I noticed the older sister first, simply because she was in the chair next to Kendrie. She was cute, well-dressed, and had to-die-for hair. Long, sleek, shiny, straight. Either she has a very close relationship with a flat-iron, or she is genetically blessed.

Then I noticed her bangs. They were less than an inch long and stuck straight out - literally - from her hairline. The rest of her hair was so long and well-tended that my first thought, honestly, was that some naughty little brother must have gone after her with scissors in her sleep. I mean, no WAY was that NOT an accident!

Then I glanced at the younger sister and her bangs were the same way.

So either this was some kind of weird DNA hair mutation, or bizarrely short bangs, at a 90 degree angle to one's face, is all the rage for 2009.

Anyone care to enlighten me? I've been trying to grow my bangs OUT for the past year ... don't tell me it's time to chop them again!

7 comments:

J-Quell'n said...

Perhaps a shot at baby bangs gone wrong? I had these a few years ago...cute if done right, but you do need product to keep them from sticking up all over the place. Otherwise, my guess is a home haircut gone awry.

Unknown said...

Don't do it...LOL... seems like a home hair cut gone wrong. And you couldn't PAY me to cut my bangs. I turn 30 in 20 days... and I stepped off the fashion train about 8 years ago...about the time my first born was on her way. And good thing to... I saw leg warmers, permed teased hair, and ray bans.... the 80's called and someone answered...shudder!!

Stephanie from Portland said...

Sorry, ladies. But I have actually seen a couple of girls at school (I teach high school) with this look. I am not sure which celebrity they are trying to emulate. This is one fashion trend from the 80's I don't want to relive: mall bangs. Well, those and long fishnet gloves with no fingers :)

ReRe said...

oh how i wish you had snapped a photo with your phone or something! i think this style may replace the mullet!

Anonymous said...

I know that this was supposed to be on yesterday's comment bored (sorry) but I would like to read the Twilight series but do not know which order they are supposed to go in. Can you help??

Thank you!

PS That is unfortunate about the hair. I did love me some mile high bangs! Went thru a can of aquanet a week!

Anonymous said...

This may or may not be what was going on, but...when I was in 8th grade, I had the same thing going on and it was NOT on purpose! I've always had long, straight hair and haven't had bangs since 1st grade. In 8th grade, I had these stupid new hairs sprout out from my hair line that looked like mini bangs, but it was just a new growth of hair (I guess). Anyways, I hated it because there was really nothing I could do except for let them grow out. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Mmm remembering my sisters fringe/bangs maybe their mother had taken a kitchen scissors to them ina an economy drive?

Happy New Year to you all.