Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Miracle

I felt privileged last night to attend the “Carols and Candlelight” Christmas Eve service at our church.

I felt joyful during the singing of the carols.

I felt grace listening to the beautiful singing of others.

I felt blessed to live in a country where I can worship freely at the church of my choosing.

I felt cheerfulness listening to the performance of the hand bell choir.

I felt a sense of community, seeing so many friends and neighbors at the service.

I felt true happiness, attending this service with my mother, my husband, and my children by my side.

I felt a sense of awe, watching all two thousand candles being lit in the darkened sanctuary.

I felt humbled by the sacrifices made by Christ on my behalf.

I felt grateful. Period.

::moment of reverent silence::

I felt curiosity, wondering if I’m the only person there who has to remind myself each year not to say “shit” out loud if the candle burns down and drips wax on my finger.

And then, near the end of the powerful service, I felt touched by the real meaning of Christmas. I listened to my son sing along during the final carol and realized that despite his voice, he was allowed to participate in honors choir. That, my friends, is the true miracle of the season.

7 comments:

J-Quell'n said...

Merry Christmas, Kristie and family!
May God's love surround your family now and forever. <3

Pam D said...

Merry Christmas, Kristie.... and hoping that 2009 will be the year that cancer exits your family life for GOOD.

Anonymous said...

That was lovely, and so typically you!

We used to say, "If you can't sing it good, sing it loud". Maybe that's the requirement for Honors Choir!

Have a wonderful day!

Dixie

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you're the only one in your church or not, but I know I'm at least one of the ones who came pretty close. LOL Funny, when I went back for the next service, there was wax on the Silent Night page in the hymn book. Oops. :)
Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you & your wonderful family. Thank you for sharing, I enjoy reading every day!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Kristie....... and thanks for ending my Christmas with a big smile and reminding us what the real meaning of CHRISTmas is.

Anonymous said...

"...wondering if I’m the only person there who has to remind myself each year not to say “shit” out loud if the candle burns down and drips wax on my finger."

That happends to me ALL THE TIME. Me, candles, and anything faithful are not a good mix. I almost dropped a candle in church once, and yes it was lit. I wish you and your family the best in the new year.