Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Letter #20

Dear Future Physician,
As someone who works in the healthcare field, I deal with physicians every day. One thing that I think is helpful to patients is being well-informed prior to having exams. Sometimes physicians forget that these exams and the equipment used for them can be very scary for the sick patient and their family members. If a study needs to be ordered, the physician should take the time to educate themself about the procedure and explain to the patient what they can expect when they go to the sepcific department.
As a new parent, it can be daunting to go to the pediatrician's office. I have found that the more personable the physician, the more at ease I feel. For instance, one of my daughter's physicians always makes me feel as though we are the only people she needs to see that day. I know she has a busy schedule, but she never lets on as she talks about my daughter and shares little tidbits about her own children. On the other hand, another physician in that office tends to rush and seems very judgemental. When we see her I always feel a little disconcerted after the appointment.
So good luck, future physician! I hope this is helpful to you as you begin your career.
Trisha

No comments: