Saturday, June 30, 2007

Our MidLife Crisis Vacation -- Day Seattle

I've decided this trip to Alaska will hereafter be referred to as our "Mid-Life Crisis Vacation" (MLCV for short) because, well, we've always wanted to go to Alaska but couldn't afford it the first ten years of our marriage. Then, the next few years we were too busy taking care of tiny, crying packages to go pretty much anyplace. Then, we reached the point we could afford it, but the kids were still too young and too much work to leave with anyone for that length of time.

Now, we still feel awkward about asking my mom for such an extended bout of babysitting, but we saved our pennies and fear if we wait another twenty years, we'll be too old and arthritic to go. Or, that pesky Al Gore will be right, and all the ice caps will have melted and cruising to Alaska will be just like crusing to Mexico, only a thousand miles or so to the north.

So we figure we better go now, while the going's good. MLCV, here we come!! I have no idea what the wi-fi set up will be, although I'll try to update every day. But since I can't include pictures until we get home and I get to my own computer, I'll probably do abbreviated updates, and wait to bore enthrall you will all the boring thrilling details

Our plane arrived safe and sound in Seattle yesterday afternoon, and after deboarding and doing the requisite kissing of the ground that I normally do, we picked up our rental car and headed for the hotel.

Now, here's the thing about Seattle. It's a really neat city. I've actually been here twice already, and Blaine, many more times than that. It's just that usually, Blaine is in the hospital and I'm too busy suctioning and wiping and gagging and NOT sharing my chocolate to do anything fun. Sure, we've been to the top of the Space Needle and watchem them throw fish a Pike Place, requisite tourist stuff, but we've never really had a chance to explore the city.

Some of you might remember Heidi. She is a local Seattle-ite who single-handedly reaffirmed my faith in the entire human racethe last time I was here. Since then, Heidi has been busy popping out a ten-pound baby (Yikes! Ouch! And Congratulations!) but when she heard we were having a layover in Seattle before our MLCV, she e-mailed me to tell me about a local adventure we needed to try.

So last night saw us braving the downtown Seattle rush hour traffic in our rental car to attend Teatro ZinZanni. I have no idea what "Teatro" means, because most of the show was in English but some of it was not, but I'm pretty sure it's French for Fan-Freaking-Tabulous, since the entire thing pretty much was.

It's billed as a three-hour whirlwind of cirque, comedy, cabaret, and live music, all served up with a gourmet five-course meal. Ya'll, it was one of the neatest things we've seen in ages. Singing, dancing, gymnastics, trapeeze, juggling, audience participation, improv ..... it was really incredible. If you are any where near Seattle, ever, you MUST go. Heidi, I can thank you enough for the recommendation. It was the perfect, grown up, enjoyable, fancy pants way to start our MLCV.

Now, the big question is if the food on the cruise ship is as wonderful as the food they served last night, which I think it will be, and if I gorge myself all week like I did last night, which .... DUH ..... the question is whether I should pack more Dramamine, or Zantac with me on the boat. And, do I have time to buy fat pants here in Seattle.

After, we drove our tired bodies, which were on a 1 am time zone lag, back to the hotel, where we slept on big, clean sheets, on big, comfy beds, and got up this morning and took showers in a clean bathroom, with no evidence of duct tape.

Worth. Every. Penny.

Too bad they don't take dogs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! How cool is that! A totally adult vacation seems in order and you're off to a good start. Don't lose your momentum.

And thanks for the help!

Dixie in CA

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Seattle, my friends. Glad you're enjoying yourselves!! We have good weather for you - so, you lucked out....weather in Seattle is always a crap-shoot kind of proposition. I imagine you're heading north right away; I haven't been to Vancouver in a long time, but if you need help up there, I have a good friend named Janet that lives there who would be happy to answer any questions about where to stay there or what to do or see - just email me (flakeyjakester@comcast.net) if you want/need to get hold of her! And have a safe voyage and drive....

The Traveling Yogi said...

So glad you made it safely to Seattle. Can't wait to read about the cruise as you post updates along the way.
Briana

Anonymous said...

I keep checking and am so happy to find that you haven't updated! I am hoping that you and Blaine are having so much fun and too busy eating the you don't have the time to update. We will be here eagerly awaiting when you get back home. Have a wonderful time, just remember all those blog opportunities for when you get home.
Bubbles in NC

Anonymous said...

We're traveling, too! I'll be thinking of you in Alaska while we're in Oklahoma sipping cool, wonderful Braum's milkshakes! :0) Have a great trip!