Saturday, May 24, 2008

Uno? Dos?

Journal entry originally dated 9-18-2001:

“Today was our ultrasound, and like I suspected, the family had to get their news via the telephone. I don’t think they could have gotten flights out, even if they had been able to take the time off to come. So, I recorded the u/s with a VHS tape, and called S. on my cell phone just as I was getting settled in with the tech. Then, I made the u/s technician talk REALLY LOUDLY so S. could hear everything, exactly the same time as I heard it. The verdict? A healthy looking, beautiful singleton pregnancy! Slightly larger than a grain of rice, and measuring in at 7 weeks, 1 day, the baby showed off a strong, rapid heart rate. What a wonderful thing to see, and a wonderful way to start my day! Due date, approximately May 5-7. Wow!!”

6 comments:

Grandma J said...

The size of a grain of rice with a strong heartbeat. How amazing.
No one could have been more thoughtful recording the whole thing and calling S. to hear the whole procedure. Kudos to you!

threehandprints said...

Yeah!!! Gosh, I was reading the one about the dad working at World Trade Center. What a terrifying day for the IM. I was 7 months pregnant with my first when this happened and my husband was gone overnight for work. I don't think I slept that night. But what great news this is...strong hearbeat:) Have a great weekend!

utahsweeney said...

Yey! Even though it was so long ago, I'm so happy for them!

Betsey said...

I have been following your site since Caringbridge. I just wanted to leave a note telling you I love hearing about your surrogacy experiences. I thought about becoming a surrogate, but at 42 and having had complications with both of my pregnancies I assumed I wouldn't be a good candidate. You're doing an amazing thing for these couples. Oh, my brownies are ready...gotta go

Anonymous said...

Wow! I cannot imagine how you felt. I have warm fuzzies.... Can't wait for the next installment of this wonderful tale.

Trisha in Leesburg, VA said...

yay! That is the best feeling when they tell you the heartbeat is strong!