Sunday, June 12, 2005

We're not quite sure how to behave with all this sunshine!

182 Days to Go

Can you believe it? Three days of sunshine in a row! Woo-hoo! Of course, temps are in the high 90’s, the humidity is at about a thousand percent, and the sweat running off my face and down my back could possibly be *mistaken* for rain …. But I’m not complaining! We were able to swim on Monday, play in the sprinklers on Tuesday, and swim again today. My kids are sunburned, happy, and exhausted. Come to think of it, *I* am sunburned, happy and exhausted as well.

I just wanted to update and let you know Kendrie has her monthly chemo visit in Atlanta tomorrow. Thanks to summer vacation, the whole family is going … then we’re all driving to Augusta tomorrow evening and spending the night in a hotel. Blaine has an appointment with the Oral Surgeons on Friday morning and is having a minor (baby, teeny, tiny) procedure done, but they won’t let him drive himself home afterwards, so going all together as a family just seemed the easiest way. And, this way we’ll get to do something fun in Augusta tomorrow night.

Speaking of fun, my kids had friends over this morning … then we all went for lunch to a local pizza place that has arcade games. Then, it was almost three hours of swimming this afternoon. On the way home from the pool, the kids asked for Happy Meals (hoping for some Shark Boy and Lava Girl toys) and when I said no, they started in with how they never get to do anything. Can someone please tell me at what age this warped sense of entitlement will stop??

Oh, and speaking of the friends my kids had over this morning, it was funny to me when I heard Kellen and his friend Jack discussing the words to the song on the CD I was playing. Jack said, with great authority, “I’m telling you, Kellen, it’s ‘put another dime in the juice box, baby”. Ha! These kids just crack me up. Even the ones that belong to other people.

OK, and let’s clear something up right now --- those of you who think I am weird because I don’t like feet? Just take a look in the guestbook -- you are WAY outnumbered! There are LOTS of people ready to join my Foot Haters Anonymous Support Group. Now, despite what a few of you think based on the (hysterical!) private e-mails you have sent me, I am not *afraid* of feet --- I just think they are disgusting and nasty and ugly and I would prefer that the entire world wear clean socks at all times.

However, this brings up another issue for me. (I know, there are so many!) If you’ve been following along on our journey since last summer, you might remember we were lucky enough to attend a very special beach retreat for pediatric cancer families called The Lighthouse. You can go back in the journal to last July to read about it, but it is fabulous! They have all kinds of activities and games and outings planned … and one thing they do is a Moms Morning Spa. OK, just the word “Spa” is enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. I mean seriously … it’s not just feet. I don’t want anyone touching me anywhere. No massages, no neck rubs, nada, nothing, zilch. I’m not a big hugger, (except for my kids, who think I hug way too much) I’ve NEVER understood the “kissing on the cheek hello and goodbye” thing --- I have no idea where it comes from (I’m a Virgo, does that explain anything?) but really, a “spa treatment” could not be FARTHER from my type of thing.

Since last summer was our first time attending the retreat, I was completely unprepared for this. I panicked and refused to take my shoes off (they were washing and rubbing people’s feet ---- OH MY GOD CAN YOU IMAGINE?????) but they still suckered me into the neck rub and hand rub and manicure. And because these people are, from the bottom of their hearts, doing this as a service, and trying to give us cancer moms a peaceful and relaxing break for a few hours ---- how much of a bitch would I have been to say, “Oh, thanks but no thanks! Not really my scene!!!”

But, this year, I plan on being better prepared. I appreciate what they are trying to do …. I really do. But when my blood pressure is through the roof and I’m having heart palpitations, it’s hardly calm and relaxing. I just have to practice now …. Say it with me …. Thank you, but I prefer not to take part. Thank you, but I prefer not to take part. Thank you, but I prefer ……….. oh, the heck with it. I’ll just tell them I’m allergic to people touching me. And thanks to the many people who wrote in the guestbook that they feel the same way, I don’t even have to feel weird saying it! Thanks, you fellow-feet haters!

Have a great rest of the week, and enjoy the sunshine if you’re lucky enough to have it!
Kristie

KENDRIE’S PERSPECTIVE:

WORST THING ABOUT CANCER TODAY: I think my mom has gone a little sunshine-crazy. She’s sort of forgotten I’m still a cancer patient and getting chemo, *and* still have this cough and am feeling a little run down. She’s running me here and there, and then expecting me to play t-ball games every night this week! I just got tired tonight, and felt worn out, and when I got tagged out at first and that umpire yelled “You’re out!” that was the last straw and I started crying. Slow down, mom, there will be more sunshine in the weeks to come! We don’t have to squeeze every outside activity known to mankind into this week!

BEST THING ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: I wasn’t real happy when I heard I had chemo tomorrow; despite having done this for the past twenty months I still get upset when I have to have my port accessed. But then my mom told me that before my clinic visit, I get to have lunch with Madie and Keegan tomorrow --- that *almost* makes it worthwhile!

No comments: