Sunday, June 26, 2005

Virus?

Hey you guys -- I just wanted to say thanks for all the warm thoughts and nice guestbook messages, and wanted to update on Kendrie. We are now on the oncology floor, and have a computer in the parent's room, but I don't have lots of free time to get on it, and don't like leaving Kendrie alone in the room, so the update will be quick for now.

Her doctor assumes it is just a virus (cough, diarrhea) that she can't shake because her body isn't producing any white cells (or much of anything else, for that matter!) :) They gave her a transfusion yesterday and her hgb went from 6 to 10, so that's good. None of the other counts went up much, so they are giving her an IVIG infusion now and he says that will be a monthly occurrence for at least the next two or three months.

I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to the IVIG discussions in the past on my online list serve because it didn't apply to us .... looks like I will be searching the archives when I get back home, ha! I just know it helps boost the production of white cells (lymphocytes) which will help her fight off illnesses like this. As her doctor explained it to me (Cliff notes version) her bone marrow is just tired from twenty months of chemo and needs a little boost.

Thanks to all of you who have called and offered help, and especially to Regina and Madie who have visited and brought snacks and crafts (and caffeine-free Diet Dr. Pepper for me, the best gift of all!!) :)

We should be going home either Monday or Tuesday, depending on how she responds to the IVIG. I'll update then ---- and thanks again for all your support and warm wishes.
Take care,
Kristie

No comments: