Thursday, June 23, 2005

Disappointed when its over

174 Days to Go

Kendrie’s first season of T-ball is over, and I have to admit, I’m a little disappointed. Partly because our social life is SO pathetic that we actually *enjoy* going to the games … partly because she looked forward to it and had so much fun …. and partly because she went out with a whimper and not a bang.

Am I disappointed that the team went from a six-game winning streak, only to lose to the undefeated first-place team … then lose again in the first round of the single-elimination tournament by playing like a bunch of kids who had never seen a ball or a bat? Never heard of catching a pop up or fielding a grounder? Couldn’t tag a base to save their lives??? Oh, wait, that was KELLEN’S team this year! And I’m kidding, actually. Except for their dismal final game, they had a great season and finished tied for second … so all in all, not too bad for his first year of coach-pitch.




No, I’m disappointed in the end of Kendrie’s season because she felt so lousy she sat out the final two games on the bench. She insisted on going to the games, in full uniform, to cheer on her team-mates, but did much of the cheering from the stall in the ladies restroom. Luckily, I took lots of photos the first part of the season (was there any doubt?) and can share these with you …. showing Kendrie at her healthy, robust, t-ball finest.



“Because you can never have too much fun running for first base ……….”



“Because you can never have too much fun batting ………”



“Because you can never have too much fun running to tag someone out at first …..”



“Because you can never field too many ground balls…….”



“Because you can never lead off the base too much ……..”



“Because you can never have too much waiting around in the outfield ……….”



“And waiting around some more …………….”



“And some more ……………….”



“And because it’s all worth it in the end, when you get that trophy in your grubby little hands!”


As you might have gathered from my last couple of journal entries (or should I say, the kvetching in my last couple of journal entries), Kendrie is still feeling under the weather. At this point, I don’t know if it’s the same bug the rest of us had a couple of weeks ago and she is simply having trouble shaking it, or if it’s something else. She’s taken enough Imodium to clog a horse, was put on Diflucan for the mouth sores, and started using an inhaler last night for the cough --- something that did NOT go over well, to put it mildly. We’ve been giving her over-the-counter tylenol for the stomach cramps, and acidophilus to try and fix that, in addition to force-feeding her yogurt. This morning she woke up with a fever of 100.6, so now we’re just sitting back watching. She’s very upset because I promised to take them to the local matinee of Racing Stripes today, which isn’t going to happen. Plus, we’ve cut her off milk in an attempt to help her stomach and she asked me today, in a pathetic little voice, “What if I never get to drink milk again?”

If the fever gets to 101 (the magical number in the world of pediatric oncology) then she’ll have to get blood cultures to make sure it’s not any infection involving her port. I don’t think it is, but I know we are all tired of her feeling punky and just wish she could shake this virus. We bitched and moaned the first two weeks of summer that the sun didn’t shine … now we have beautiful, hot, sunny weather and we’re still sitting inside watching endless episodes of Kim Possible and the Cartoon Network.

This is rapidly turning into the Summer Vacation That Wasn’t.

Wish us luck,

Kristie
******************************************************
KENDRIE’S PERSPECTIVE:

WORST PART OF HAVING CANCER TODAY: Well, if you could just look at me, you’d know. My mom took Brayden and Kellen and me swimming on Tuesday and I had to call my dad to come get me. What five-year old voluntarily sleeps on a chaise lounge and then asks to go home from a swimming playdate??? All I’ve done is lay on the sofa, and run to the restroom, and cough my fool head off and cry because my stomach hurts. AND I missed playing in my last two t-ball games --- that was the ultimate injustice! I can take a lot of crap, man, but missing those games really stunk!

BEST PART OF HAVING CANCER TODAY: I’ll get back to you on that.

No comments: