Sunday, June 28, 2009

Photo(s) of the Day, Vacation Day T-1 (AKA, We're off to a rip-roaring good start!)

So, I was getting ready tonight to drive to Wal-Mart to buy some last minute items for our trip. One of the things I needed to buy was new shorts for Blaine. Because despite the fact we have been planning this trip for almost two YEARS, do you know when he informed me that he needed new shorts??? This morning.

Of course he did.

But that's really alright because I needed to buy snacks and drinks for the van, and pick up some travel toiletries (blah blah)

Here's our van as I headed out to Wal-Mart, all gassed up and ready to be loaded with suitcases:



It's such a promising photo, isn't it? Brimming with hope and anticipation for a fun family vacation ..... driving half way cross the country, sing-alongs, the license plate game .... ahhhh, good times.

Wait.

What's that?

What's that funny looking scrape on the luggage carrier???



Ohhhhhhhhhh, THAT would be from where I tried to drive into the garage with the luggage carrier on top of the van tonight.

Because I'm a MORON.

Yep, vacation's off to a great start.

All the suitcases are packed, the snacks and drinks are purchased, ice chest is ready to go. Assuming I can go the next ten hours without burning down my house, stepping on a scorpion, or ripping my hand off in an unfortunate Magic Bullet incident, I think we're good to go.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh honey, you haven't lived (and nearly died) until you try to drive in the garage with your husband's bikes on the roof--even though there's a sign hanging from your rearview mirror telling you NOT to do just that. And, I just want to emphasize that these are bikes that are worth more than both of our vehicles. Combined.

Anonymous said...

Oh...Natalie. So glad it was my husband and his friend that did it to themselves and not me. Just guessing you never live that down!

Kristie...your problem is that you guys have always been way too organized. No chance I will do that when we plop ours on top on Wed. cause we have way too much crap in the garage to ever drive into it! See what grace clutter and disorganization gets you?! I am so stinikin' excited now that I have 4 of us packed. Can't wait to see you in 2 days! Drive carefully, it can only get better from there! :)Kim

Cathy said...

Really the vacation should only have one mishap and if that's it, now you are clear for the rest of the trip! Enjoy.

I see you are reading "Can you keep a secret" Hilarious, I love love love Sophie Kinsella, have you read all of the Shopaholic books, because if you haven't... you should. My favorite laugh out loud funny books. Speaking of which, I think I will dig them out and re read them this summer :)

Anonymous said...

I have SO done that!!! I was so embarrassed. I had to call a girlfriend to come pick me up...go to the soccer field where my husband was coaching, tell him. Drive home to get tools drive back to van to take off the roof top carrier so that I could get it out of said garage. Now we have a car carrier with duck tape all over it...Classy, I know.
Meg
Milford, CT

The Traveling Yogi said...

Yep, we were at the store buying Dalton some shorts yesterday for our trip. We leave Tuesday. I feel so unorganized for this trip!

And about your last post....I go to a parenting class for Sunday school and I laugh (although silently) at all the new parents and their "rules". I keep thinking, "come back in 10 years and tell me how that worked out". Glad you got to scrapbook, though. I need to get back to that. I'm way behind.

p.s. for Natalie - that's why I have a bike rack on the BACK of my vehicle and not on the top. I know I'd forget and the bikes are MINE, not my husbands.

Cate said...

They way that never happens again is simple. Natalie, those bikes on top of the car are mine and they too are worth way more than the car. Anytime, I put toys...or the carrier...on top, I move the garage door opener to the passenger's side. It's a mental reminder every single time I put the garage door up.

Catherine said...

Sorry 'bout your mishap. How wonderful to have gotten it out of the way before your trip began, though!

Have a wonderful, mishap free vacation!

J-Quell'n said...

Have a good trip and come back to us safely!

deb8able said...

Have a great trip!

TAKEAPILLMWOP said...

I saw that on facebook so I had to hop on over to your blog. I have tears streaming down my face. Have a wonderful, safe trip and have a blast on the boat.
Lori

Alisa said...

I am just imagining the scene. Did you keep on driving in, or back out? And how was the garage door? Was that a last minute repair? Hope you all got out this morning alright!