Sunday, June 21, 2009

Karma

I'm not a huge believer in karma. Oh, sure, I believe whatever attitude you put out there into the universe will usually come back around and either help you, or knock you down, depending on the vibes you're sending out in the first place. If you exude good things and helpfulness, good things and helpfulness will find their way back to you. Like a Payback Boomerang, if you will.

And I also believe that sometimes, you make your own luck. Or at least make your own attitude, which can definitely affect your outlook, which can definitely affect your day to day life. You know, glass-half-full and what-not.

On second thought, maybe I'm a bigger believer in karma than I thought.

This past week, I've been in a foul mood. People have annoyed me, my feelings have been hurt, I've sulked, I've nursed a grudge, and perhaps worst of all, I shouted at one of my kids in Target. (It was totally his fault, and seriously, I had warned him and warned him and at that point, ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH. But still. Who's the grownup here???)

In short, I haven't been putting out sunshine rays or angel wings of happiness or unicorn smiles or glittery moonbeams of karma into my local universe lately.

Yesterday morning, I pulled a muscle in my back. What was I doing? The highly athletic activity, admired by Olympians and envied by physical fitness buffs the world over known as: Putting my hair in a ponytail.

That's right, I was standing at my bathroom counter, put my arms up over my head, and pulled a muscle in my back.

I think karma just came around and bit me in the ............. lower left shoulder muscle, to be exact.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I hate it when that happens. And it does. Just like you said it. All of it.
Tammy in OH

Anonymous said...

Well I have to agree Karma or in our house hold we call it bad JooJoo. I hope you feel better soon. Jean, MI

kimybeee said...

If that was my husband saying that, I would just say you are OLD! That is my favorite thing to tell him these days.

Okay, you have been warned by karma, so Earl, go make you a list and rectify all of your wrongs.

I have a chronic neck/shoulder thingy that also seems to flare up when I am "in a mood". Maybe it can just be chalked up to tension. Hope you feel all sunshiny and rainbowy soon.

kimybeee

Cindy in Yukon said...

You just described my week, same foul mood, feelings hurt, in a funk. In a really pissy mood today....not exactly sure why, but glad (?) I am not alone! Not really, I am sure this week will be better :)

Kristie said...

Cindy, it's because we were born on the same day, so our houses are aligned in the same moon, or something.

Kidding, I believe in astrology even less than I believe in karma. :)

Leeann said...

Dude, if Karma works that way then I am totally screwed. I have been such an a-hole all week that I keep trying to ditch mySELF.

Good Lord! Hopefully this week will be a better week.

Heal quickly!

Pam D said...

I was just getting ready to type in some deep, meaningful comment, when I looked down at my white shirt and realized that my black dog JUST totally blew her coat. And I do mean blew. Hmmmph. I guess I just want to say that shed happens.

Alisa said...

Ouch! Were you able to still go to the lake? I do hope I was not part of any of your frustrations or hurts.
Ah summer- the vacations, the heat, the stress, are we having fun yet?

Natalie said...

I'll go out on a limb here and say that karma needs to throw the Escoes a break no matter how grumpy you've been. I think it's just a sign that you need a break! I'm prescribing a day at a spa. . .

The Traveling Yogi said...

Ouch! Hope you get better soon.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was just me! I was pissy all last week.

Don't feel bad...I pulled a muscle in my back putting my BRA on!! I hooked that bad boy in the front and was twisting it around..and thats when it happened.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jessica in GA

jean said...

My 'clinical' diagnosis is your muscles were tight b/c you were in a bad mood (lots of tension/stress). I agree w/Natalie - a spa day, or at least a good massage - is in order! Or maybe just a couple of days w/o the kids & dogs would do the trick... :-) Hope you're feeling better soon! It sucks to get old...

Elaine said...

I just pulled probably the EXACT same muscle...swatting a mosquito.

Julie said...

I once threw my back out bending over to pick up a hairbrush! Feel better! Julie

Sally said...

I once pulled a muscle in my lower back DRIVING up to Virginia...damn stick shift!!

I was going to meet my husband at the airport after he had been on a 6 month cruise (he was getting out of the Navy - hence the flight before the ship returned).

I about died when he asked me to carry one of his HUGE seabags....

It also made for an interesting "reunion" at the hotel!!

Hope the funk leaves soon...it sure has been lingering around our house for YEARS!!!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

i think you have a lot of good stuff coming your way.

jadine said...

You know? It's weird. When I read someone's blog, even if I don't even know them, I feel like I should get to know all their business. E.g., I want to know who annoyed you and by doing what, who hurt your feelings and how, what you sulked about, and what you held a grudge about.

I wonder if that feeling of 'entitled-to-know-their-business' is what causes people to say awful things to people in their blog comments. Just sort of interesting.

Back to you :) I'm sorry about the yuckiness. Plus? Back pain hurts! The worst I ever hurt my back was when I picked my kid up and pulled something in the middle of my back (sort of where the bra does up)...yow. It took forever to get better, and I kept re-hurting it.

Is this week going okay so far? Better, at least? And everyone's right --- The Escoes are first in line for some good karma!

Unknown said...

i know my karma needs an overhaul and should probably be more positive believe there is at least SOMETHING in the perpetual glass of life. Right now, I don't.