Monday, September 25, 2006

MANIC MONDAY

My kids love school; they really, truly, do. They just don’t like getting out of bed in the morning. Especially Monday morning. No matter how much rest they’ve gotten over the weekend, how much relaxation and fun we’ve had, they’re never ready for Monday morning. They let me know this in various ways, such as moaning when I wake them up, rolling over and burying their faces under the covers.

Kellen and Brayden normally only need one reminder that it’s time to get up and start getting ready for school …. Kendrie usually makes it as far as the sofa before collapsing with fatigue, and would stay on the sofa, huddled in a blanket, complaining that “I'm cold!” or “It’s too early!” or “I’m still tired!” all day if I’d let her.

Once they get to school they’re ok, although Kendrie and I did have the following conversation this morning as I walked her to her classroom:

Kendrie: “I don’t want to go to school!”

Kristie: “You’re just grumpy because it’s Monday. You should go to bed earlier on Sunday night.”

Kendrie: “No, I really don’t want to go to school!”

Kristie: “Why not? You love school.”

Kendrie: “Yes, but it takes too long! It takes up my whole day!”

Kristie: “Well, just be glad you don’t go to school in China or Japan or any of those places. Those kids have to go to school from 8 in the morning until 5 at night, like a real job. They stay MUCH longer at school than you do.” {I have no idea if this is true, but I heard it somewhere and at this point, I’m looking for anything to make this kid quit whining.}

Kendrie (in her most “well DUH, Mom!” voice): “Well, yeah, but they’re studying cool stuff -- They’re all learning how to be ninjas!”

So there you have it. The REAL reason that Mitsubishi and Sanyo and Fujifilm are such successful international companies: The ninja training of their CEO’s. Bet those guys don’t bitch about Mondays, what with all the cool ninja fighting they get to do.

No comments: