Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Can You Guess What Day It Is?

Well, can you guess what day it is? Can you? Do you need a hint? Do you maybe need FORTY of them????

On a side note, thanks to those of you who reminded me that I *can* purchase the Jon Almett CD online, directly from his website. I tried to find it at iTunes and when it wasn’t there, I panicked a bit. Because I didn’t remember the very website I had recommended to others, so many times. Nope, not a clue.

They say the mind is the first thing to go.

The body is running a close second.

I have an appointment for my “annual” exam next week and decided since I’m getting so old and decrepit turning 40, I would go ahead and meet with my new, extremely-good-looking-according-to-Blaine physician for a whole physical, head to toe. I can’t even remember the last time I had a physical. Ten years??? So I grabbed a post it sticky-note and started jotting down things I wanted to ask him about. I’ve now graduated to a full-length sheet of notebook paper.

I am flat-dab falling apart.

The funeral music is appropriate, no?

So I will go next week and bombard the doctor with a laundry list of things that are wrong with me. Because that’s what old people do. We complain about our health a lot. And gripe about the cost of everything. And wonder what the hell is wrong with young people these days. And knit. And tell anyone who'll listen that "this crap isn't music!" And start lots of sentences with, "Well, back in MY day ..........." And reminisce about the past. And tell my kids about having to walk to and from school, uphill both ways, in the snow, in my bare feet because we couldn’t afford shoes. Then, and only then, when I’m done doing all that, I’ll make Blaine take me to dinner at Luby’s at 3pm.

Speaking of Blaine, when I woke up this morning, I said to him, “Let the mocking begin. You are married to an old lady.” He replied, “Don’t feel bad, honey, 40’s not old.” At the look on my face, he said earnestly, “Really! It’s not so bad.” “Oh really?” I said, “You got cancer when you were 40”. “No,” he responded, “I got cancer when I was 38. When I turned 40 I got bifocals, high blood pressure medication, and had hernia surgery.”

OK. Good. That makes me feel a lot better.

Well, I should go now, and fix myself some Cream of Wheat for breakfast. And complain about my rheumatism to someone. And have you seen how much a pound of hamburger meat costs nowadays????

Ack. There’s no hope.

No comments: