You'd think, what with this being the fourth time and all, that getting a new cancer diagnosis for Blaine wouldn't be a big deal. Wouldn't throw me for a loop, rock my world, take the wind out of my sails, or any other corny phrase you prefer to put with it.
And really, for the most part, we're plodding along ok. No sense getting melodramatic or stressed out until we at least know what the plan is .... and hey, considering all he's been through prior to this point, it just seems indulgent to freak out this late in the game.
But for some bizarre reason, I haven't been able to get my head on straight since we got the news last week. You know those commercials for cold medicine, where you don't even realize how blurry the screen is until the actress peels off a "layer" of gauze from the picture and then suddenly WOW! Look how clear it all is, and who knew things were so fuzzy??? I feel .......... fuzzy. Like I can't quite get my shit together.
Here is a list of things I have forgotten to do in the ten days since we found out.
NOT "remembered but didn't have time for" .... but flat-dab FORGOTTEN.
1. Take Kendrie to her first soccer practice of the season.
2. Buy Kendrie new soccer cleats before her first practice of the season.
3. Buy Kendrie new soccer cleats before the SECOND practice of the season but thank goodness we went shopping last night and remedied that, although to hear her tell the story, she's probably crippled for life from having to go to a single practice in too-small cleats. Too bad I couldn't re-vamp the orthodontic headgear as shoewear and we would have both been happy.
4. Pay for my kids to take part in Hat Day at school today.
5. Pay for Kellen's end-of-the-year chorus t-shirt at school this week.
6. Give our PTO president a check I owe her that I've been carrying around in my wallet for a week.
7. Send Kellen's tri-corn hat to school this morning like the principal asked so he could wear it in the Pirate Skit (the principal, not Kellen) for assembly first thing. Good thing I live so close to the school. My sister called me and literally RAN to my house to pick it up. Of course, I had to call Blaine to find out where it was because I couldn't remember where I had put it. Then my sister RAN back to the school. Then she collapsed from an asthma attack. (Not really, but she said she had no idea she was that out of shape.)
8. Do any part of my bible study this entire week.
9. Pay for Kellen's upcoming soccer tournament in Arkansas. And I don't mean "pay for Kellen's share". I am the team treasurer, and I mean "Pay the entire team registration." Thank goodness the team mom reminded me and we had enough time left to still get our payment in, otherwise the entire team would have missed out because of me.
9 1/2. Call and reserve hotel rooms for the entire team for the Arkansas tournament.
10. I am the PTO officer in charge of our Skate Night Fundraiser, which we've done once a month this entire school year. This month alone, I forgot to take the cash box, the deposit slip, the change, the list of students, and forgot to put the sign out in front of the school to remind students what day it was taking place.
11. I forgot to buy strawberries for tomorrow night's Middle School spring banquet.
12. I forgot to buy hair clips for Brayden (see: tomorrow night's banquet.)
12 1/2. I forgot to buy Brayden new shoes to go with her new dress for the banquet.
12 3/4. I forgot to order a boutonnierre for Brayden's "date" for the banquet.
13. I forgot to call and schedule a follw up doctor's appointment.
14. I forgot to rsvp for a birthday party.
15. I went to the commissary for my monthly shopping trip. I not only forgot my coupons, and forgot my shopping list, I FORGOT TO MAKE A SHOPPING LIST. I wound up just walking up and down the aisles, throwing things into the cart willy-nilly. I spent $200 over budget and my family will still end up eating Corn Pops with mustard for dinner.
16. I have left the house at least three times this week without a cell phone because I forgot to put it in my purse.
17. I forgot to do anything with the hamburger meat I set out the other night. Blaine came home from work and asked what was for dinner. I replied mini-meatloaf muffins, then realized I FORGOT TO COOK THEM.
18. Our entire family is being baptized this upcoming Sunday. I DREAMED that we forgot to go, then showed up late, then forgot to take dry clothes.
I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten, I just can't remember what they are. It's a miracle I've remembered to pick the kids up from school each day.
On the Blaine front, he got a phone call today scheduling an appointment next week to discuss the MRI results and plan what's next. Considering the call came from the Neuro-Surgery department, I think we have a pretty good idea what they're going to say.
I just hope I can remember to show up for the appointment.
Wait. Blaine who?