Wednesday, December 08, 2004

"WELL, THAT’S JUST BIZARRE!"

Week #17 of Long-Term Maintenance

OK, after the head-banging song from yesterday on the site, I figured it might be a good idea to calm things down a bit. This song is calm. Way calm. As in, an hour of yoga and meditation and lavender candles---type of calm. It’s the Boys’ Choir version of "Christmas Canon"; I played the Amazing Female Singer Version (I doubt it is actually called that, but that’s how *I* think of it!) the other day ….. this version makes me want to sit with my legs crossed and eyes closed and breathe deeply. I’m not exaggerating -- I can physically feel my blood pressure go down while I’m listening to it!

Someone asked in the guestbook, so let me clarify a bit: TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) is the name of the group performing all of these songs. The three albums I am pulling the music off of are: The Lost Christmas Eve, The Christmas Attic, and Christmas Eve and Other Stories. They have another CD called Beethoven’s Last Night that has the most amazing rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee" on it, but that’s for another journal entry, I suppose. I have to admit that I have been opening up Kendrie’s site during the day and just letting the music play …. I hope you guys are enjoying the music as well.

Anyway, on to other things .....

Something sort of bizarre happened today and I’m wondering if any of you built-in-child-psychologists (ie, parents) out there can shed some light on it. In case you haven’t been paying attention, or have perhaps been dwelling under a hard stone-like substance, let me share a little secret with you: “Kendrie is not really very much of a girly-girl”

What?!?!? Am I kidding??!? I know, I know, some of you are shocked. From day one, she has preferred blue jeans and t-shirts and ball-caps and hiking boots. And that’s how she dresses most days. The kids got new school sweatshirts yesterday with the mascot on them and off she went this morning; sweatshirt, blue jeans, and hiking boots.

I was sitting in the cafeteria at the end of the day, where the car-rider kids (kids whose parents are too anal to let them ride the bus, like me!) show up. Kendrie came in like she does every day, walked right over to me like she does every day, and promptly started crying. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, in between tears, “One of the boys in the other room thought I was a boy!” and crawled up in my lap, crying all the while.

What the ??????

First of all, like that hasn’t happened a bazillion times since this whole bald-thing-then-pixie-style-hairdo started? And doesn’t she realize that she *dresses* like a boy? And *plays* like a boy? Why on earth did it matter to her today???

I mean, that’s just bizarre.

Ideas, anyone?

Kristie
*******************************************************
KENDRIE’S PERSPECTIVE:

WORST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY:

That boy hurting my feelings although my mom sure has no idea what made this kid thinking I am a boy any different than any of the other dozens of people who have thought I was a boy all along.

BEST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY:
It took seven days and a dozen games of phone-tag with the scheduling people, but my mom was finally able to re-schedule my next clinic appointment so I don’t have to miss our local support group meeting. I know, that’s really more a good thing for my mom, but I know it made her happy.

No comments: