Friday, September 26, 2008

So very proud

I’ll be the first to admit that over the years, I’ve said (and said in front of my children) a few things that probably aren’t as nice as they could be. One of my favorites, of course, is when I allow my kids (only in the car, and only with the windows rolled up) to call bad drivers, or people who take up two parking spaces, “jackass”. No, not something to be particularly proud of ……. But what can I say? I’m hardly perfect as a parent.

I also downloaded "Baby Got Back" off the internet and let my kids listen to it. FAR from appropriate, but they laugh hysterically whenever they hear it, which makes me giggle, too.

Another of my favorites is what I said to my kids the first time they questioned why their dad and I make them wear bicycle helmets, when some of the other kids in the neighborhood don’t. I merely looked at them and said, “Well, I guess their parents don’t love them as much as we love you.” Simple …. And to the point.

I took Kendrie to the doctor this afternoon for her 9-yr well child visit. No illnesses, no complaints …. Just listening to the lungs, checking for scoliosis, open your mouth and say Ah kind of stuff. In an attempt to verify home safety and what have you, the doctor was asking Kendrie about her lifestyle (assuming 9-yr olds actually HAVE a lifestyle). He asked if she played any sports, watched a lot of tv, buckled her seatbelt whenever she was in the car, and if she wore a helmet whenever she rode a bike.

“Yes,” she replied.

“Your mom and dad always make you wear a helmet?” he questioned again.

“Tell the doctor what we say about kids who don’t wear helmets,” I said smugly, thinking how funny it would be when Kendrie told him the bit about the parents not loving them.

But before she could open her mouth, Kellen blurted out, “We call them jackasses!!!!”

Ahhhh, yes.

So very proud.

Actually, the best part was when the doctor simply smiled and said, "In our family, we call them organ donors."

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Hilarious

Hope schulman said...

GOD you make me laugh! We have a very similar sense of humor here in our house, that quite a few friends DON'T get, so I feel a bit validated in our parenting! I think it is better to give them the entire spectrum and then they can pick where they stand.
Sending good thoughts.
mary cron schulman
san diego/crosslake, mn

Tracy said...

Thanks for the laugh-really an outloud one at that-aren't kids so precious! Their timing to make us proud is always perfect.
Have a Great Weekend!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

thats perfect!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!! I guess your neck really got red after that comment.

Rena'

Unknown said...

Your family needs their own sitcom..I'm serious.

Stacia said...

That was awesome!
I too would be a proud parent. :-)
It's great that when you post you just say things like they are.
Obviously your kids have learned that same ability from their cool mama.
You rock Kristie!

Rob said...

That is great....love the transparency and humor of your blog!

(I call them jackasses, too...)

Tobi said...

I'm laughing in my breakfast cereal! Priceless!

Jenny said...

SNORT! I swear that's what my boys would be saying if they could talk! Heeeyyyyy......what if I teach them "jackass" with Baby Sign??

Sally said...

Too Funny!!!

My husband made the rule that if he hears the kids say "jackass" there better be a donkey in eyesight!!!

My son races dirtbikes and I allow him to say "ass" at the track....we even include in our pre-race prayer a request for him to "kick ass". He giggles every time - which makes me giggle. His only requirement is that he doesn't say it around Grandma!!

My kids know many of the words of "Baby got back" as well....proud Mama moment for sure!!

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you that Kellen is a HOOT! I LOVE that kid!!
~Debbie~

Anonymous said...

One of those proud Mom moments. Go Kendrie! At least she was being honest!

Anonymous said...

OMIGOD Kristie--- I just about peed my pants with that story!!!! Thanks, I needed that.

Praying for you All!!!!!

Karen said...

Too funny!

Mama Bear said...

In our family, we call motorcycles "donorcycles".

In our state (N.Y.), bike helmets are required by law for anyone age 12 and under. We all wear them, regardless our age, in our family. We tell our kids smart people protect their brains.

Anonymous said...

The doctor's a cyclist!

That's standard slang for anybody who doesn't wear a brain bucket.

Though I think jackass might be appropriate too.

Alecia said...

Oh Wow! I'm so glad to find a mom like me! I too agree that you should have your own sitcom! You made my day now that I've found a kindred spirit!!

Over Coffee said...

Too funny!
Leave it to our kids to repeat the things that we don't want them to repeat....

Anonymous said...

My son (16) had a good reply to a friend making fun of him for wearing a helmet... He said "I prefer my brains on the INSIDE of my head..." I loved that funny response to peer pressure!! Maybe we're gonna be okay when he gets made fun of for not doing other dangerous things? Hoping so....

Love your blog. Always makes me laugh! (or cry, you're good at dredging up lots of emotions!)

Anonymous said...

freaking hilarious! and I call those people jackasses too, by the way. And the bit about loving your kids more? That is just classic! Of course, the Dr's response was a great one too. Thanks for the laugh this afternoon!

Haley said...

When my brother and I were younger, the only time our mom cussed was during Braves games. In the car, she would often call bad drivers rednecks and by the time my brother was about 3.5 or 4, he had picked up on this. The only exception was he called them red heads and it was nearly impossible to correct him.

Anonymous said...

the cover of our kaiser book on the services they offer show a happy little family of four all riding their bikes WITHOUT helmets...when i pointed this out to my child's doctor, he was a little embarrased and said he'd look into it...

my kids always wear a helmet!

cathy
santa clara, CA

Anonymous said...

OMG, LOL! I've been sitting here for the last hour or so trying to play catch up from the last time I was able to play catch up. Nicholas is the Jelly Belly Giver! I thought you all knew that. Wasn't there something else in the box for Kendrie, something for you, and something for Brayden and Kellen? Jelly Bellies were for everyone. What are some of Blaine's favorites. I know its hard for him now, but we certainly want to send him a care package all of his own. Still hunting ducks isn't he? Nicholas misses Kendrie terribly...he sits in his room and plays that Chipmunk song "Had a Bad Day." over and over again. He has been hoping she would email him back from when we went to the Wild Animal Safari. I know you all are going through some crazy times, think she might want to email him back. He told me that if he flew out there to Oklahoma by himslef, he would NOT be coming back, he would stay out there! See he would be just fine if we (I) got a position out there. Really hate the one in NM didn't work out either. Well, it worked out, I didn't! Listened to my gut again. Love and miss you all very much! Susan, Ray and Nicholas (Chance & Sandy too!) P.S. How's Barley doing? Still chewing LoL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would love to be your publisher! You would make millions.....Susan, Byron GA.