Friday, December 09, 2005

JOSE’ EBER WOULD BE **SO** PROUD

6 Days to GO!

Tonight’s journal entry and Top Six List is a blatant cut-n-paste from a previous journal entry --- but really, how can I NOT reminisce about the six most interesting cancer hairdos EVER??? (Hair entries narrated by Kendrie.)
****************************************************
Stage One -- The Beginning

SEPTEMBER 2003 -- ONE MONTH BEFORE DIAGNOSIS:


Wow, it's hard to remember when I had this much hair! What I DO remember is fussing every time Mom tried to brush it!!


But Mom always said she thought I looked like the Little Dutch Boy. (((Mom wonders if I heard her saying this, and that's when the gender-confusion began???)))

***************************************************

Stage Two -- Going, going ......

NOVEMBER 2003 -- ONE MONTH AFTER DIANGOSIS


Oh, geez, the hair is really starting to come out now -- see how thin it's getting? You can actually see my scalp in certain places. (Mom was surprised to find this photo ... she doesn't remember me smiling, let alone laughing, any time before mid-December!)


But hey! If Donald Trump can pull off the comb-over from Hell, I think I should be able to do the same thing!


DECEMBER 2003 -- TWO AND A HALF MONTHS INTO TREATMENT


Yeah, it's getting hard to avoid the truth .... it's definitely on the way out.



But you know what? This Mark Miller guy sings lead for a band called Sawyer Something and *HE* looks pretty cool with his bald head and a microphone -- maybe there's still hope for me with my karaoke Christmas present! I just have to work a little harder to pull off the rock-star thing!

******************************************************

Stage Three --- GONE!!!

MARCH, 2004 -- SIX MONTHS INTO TREATMENT



Well, it's March, and its DEFINITELY gone now! Here I am, bald as a cue ball, practicing medicine on my poor dolls and stuffed animals (who, by the way, are much better sports about getting stuck and poked and prodded than I am.)



Check it out, though -- this guy was pretty kick-ass, from what my mom tells me about TV shows back in the 70's. And if HE gets credit for being so tough just by chasing bad guys and sucking on a lollipop, shouldn't I get even more credit for kicking so much cancer butt?????



And this guy is well-known for kickin' alien-ass .......



Hey! She kicked ass, too!! These people are all tough just like me! Maybe being bald is a badge of courage in this case! (do you think I'll get in trouble for saying "ass" so many times?)


APRIL 2004 -- SEVEN MONTHS INTO TREATMENT



Well, I guess Dad figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. We make a pretty cute team, don't you think?



My dad must know how to handle dirt just like this guy. In fact, sometimes I hear him saying "Who do you think I am, Mr. Clean????" At least that's what he mumbles when he's mopping the kitchen floor.

******************************************************

Stage Four -- The Rebellious Look

JULY 2004 -- NINE MONTHS INTO TREATMENT



Hmmmm, why does mom start humming "White Wedding" every time she lubes up my head with suntan lotion before we go swimming??? Can anyone tell me????




*******************************************************

Stage Five --- What on Earth????

JULY 2004 -- NINE AND A HALF MONTHS INTO TREATMENT



What the heck??? It's gone again! How did that happen????



I heard a rumor that this guy is pretty noble. Or at least he plays somebody noble on tv. So maybe I'll go for "nobly bold." Ugh, stinks anyway.


AUGUST 2004 -- TEN MONTHS INTO TREATMENT



Well, here I am on the first day of Long-Term Maintenance -- and I'm still in ass-kicking mode! Plus, my mom is hoping I see that girls can be bald and beautiful and tough at the same time, just look at the lady below!



Don't tell mom, but I already knew that. ALL kids that fight cancer are tough and bald and beautiful.

******************************************************

Stage Six -- Houston, we have growth again

SEPTEMBER 2004 -- ELEVEN MONTHS INTO TREATMENT



You know what I love about this picture of me, and the picture of the girl below me? When *SHE* went out in public like that, people all around the world commented on how bald she was and how on earth could she go out without being embarrassed?? We look almost exactly alike, and when *MY* hair finally got this long, I quit wearing hats --- I thought it was a long, flowing mane at this point!!! Heck, I've even started using shampoo again!



******************************************************

And One Stage to Grow On ..........

(Narration by Kristie) OK, anyone born after 1975 is probably not going to get the extreme social relevance of the following celebrity hairstyle comparison, but I think my fellow age 30 comrades will grasp the connection immediately, and, dare I say, enjoy a bit of nostalgia at the same time ..........



At the rate Kendrie’s hair is growing, I’m concerned we’re going to be looking like this before too long:








MAY I INTRODUCE CHAKA, FROM THE LAND OF THE LOST!!!










*************************************************

And notice that we didn't add any of the photos from when her hair fell out a THIRD time this past summer, during long-term maintenance!!! But there you have it, the six stages of hair growth that cracked me up the most.

No comments: