Saturday, May 21, 2005

"I WANT TO RIDE MY BICYCLE……"

207 Days to Go

Kendrie and I got to take part in a fun event not too long ago …. The Tour De Georgia Bike Race, which rolled through Macon recently. Dodge Tour de Georgia® is an annual, world-class, professional cycling stage race and series of city festivals across Georgia. Proceeds from the event benefit the Georgia Cancer Coalition, a statewide network of people and organizations working together to fight cancer. Dodge Tour de Georgia is sanctioned by the Union Cycliste Internationale and USA Cycling.



Now, by saying we “took part” I certainly hope you don’t think I meant we rode bikes --- first of all, I don’t even OWN a bike and I doubt Kendrie’s would be allowed since it still has training wheels on it. These were REAL cyclists ….. Lance Armstrong, and, ....um, ....well, other guys who are in the same league as Lance Armstrong. (PS It’s *really* tempting here to make a snide comment about Sheryl Crow being draped over him like a cheap suit, but out of respect for all he’s done with his Live Strong campaign, I’ll hold back.)



As mentioned above, the beneficiary of the race was the Georgia Cancer Coalition, which leads Georgia's comprehensive cancer initiative, uniting people and organizations to work together to save lives and reduce suffering from cancer. The Coalition held a Health Expo at each of the city sites, and when they came to Macon, we helped out in the CureSearch tent.


Kristin Connor, CureSearch representative; Jenny, Ryan, and Jacob, who wouldn't peek out from around his balloon; Kristie and Kendrie, and Jill George, Executive Director of CURE.

CureSearch represents the combined efforts of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) and the National Childhood Cancer Foundation (NCCF), two organizations united by a common goal: finding a cure for childhood cancer. As partners in this search, each arm of CureSearch has vital responsibilities covering research, care, advocacy, and fund-raising. The shared vision of the CureSearch National Childhood Cancer Foundation and the Children’s Oncology Group is to reach the day when every child with cancer can be guaranteed a cure. Did you read that? “Reach the day when every child with cancer can be GUARANTEED a cure” ---- that is pretty much music to my ears.

CureSearch has year after year received the HIGHEST rating from the charity watchdogs. 94 percent of all monies raised go straight to research and education efforts related to childhood cancer (and nothing else). Only 6 percent goes to administrative costs.

If you know anything about charities, that is an amazing percentage. 94 percent goes to help find a cure for PEDIATRIC cancer. That, in my opinion, is heartening, and I’d like to ask all of you to visit the CureSearch website, to see if there is any way they can help you, or any way you can help them.

There are links for donations, ways to advocate, volunteer opportunities, sponsorship opportunities, information for families and patients, their annual Gold Ribbon Days, a community events calendar so you can look for happenings in your area, a Kids for CureSearch program so kids can help, they sponsor a Young Artists Program for kids with cancer and the siblings of kids with cancer ……. Lots and lots of neat things happening with CureSearch. You might have heard about the Major Baseball League Commissioners Initiative Fundraiser they organized last year, or this years Million Message goal, or the Hyundai Hope on Wheels fundraising/awareness project that is currently taking place across the country.

Also, CureSearch has a gift shop on their site under the “How You Can Help” link. They offer green wrist bands with a “Reach the Day” message, apparel, gifts and stationery. What I want to share with all of you today are these great t-shirts they have available. We got ours, like I mentioned, when we worked in the Cure Search booth at the Bike Race. I’ve purchased a few to give as gifts …. And I have to tell you, I don’t think I’ve seen anything that sums up my feelings any better.


Front of shirt


Back of shirt


I strongly encourage you to visit their website. Whether you are a patient or family member, or someone who simply would like an opportunity to help fight and defeat childhood cancer, CureSearch has something for you. (No, I’m not a paid spokesperson; I just believe in what they are trying to accomplish!)

Hope you all have a great weekend,

Kristie
************************************************
KENDRIE’S PERSPECTIVE:

WORST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY:
Can you believe, can you even believe, that I have a stinkin’ ear infection? I’ve been fussing for a day or two so the old people in my house broke down and took me to the doctor this morning …. And now I have to take yet another yucky medicine for the next five days …. Wow, does that blow or what?

BEST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: Well, at least I should be all better by my next t-ball game …. Good thing, because no one can hold down that shortstop position better than me! I also do a good job of rearranging the dirt by my feet when I’m a little bored, but overall, I’m paying pretty close attention.

OH, AND YOUR AGE IS SHOWING: (This is Kristie “talking”) I took the kids to their elementary school Variety Show last night, where the teachers, staff, and a few of the students do talent-type routines and put on a performance … it’s a fundraiser for the Student Council. Last night’s theme was “Let’s Go To The Movies” and they had each grade level do a song/dance performance for movies from different decades. Ie, for the 50’s it was a song from Grease, for the 70’s it was a song and dance from Saturday Night Fever, etc. Well, up popped “The 80’s” on the screen, and the next thing you heard was ……………”Just put those old records on the shelf” ….. and the vice-principal slid across the stage in his big white shirt, sunglasses, white socks, and boxer shorts, a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business. The majority of the audience were parents, so we of course were cracking up (it would be even funnier if you actually KNEW this man!) and Kendrie turned to me, horrified and laughing at the same time, and squealed, “What is he thinking??? He doesn’t have any pants on!”

What a sad, sad world we live in when my own kids are so young they have no appreciation for that classic scene from Risky Business…… truly, cinema at its finest. Personally, *I* thought it was a hoot.

No comments: