Saturday, May 01, 2004

"Home, Safe and Sound, Albeit a Little Black and Blue"

Thanks so much to all of you for your words of support and encouragement for Blaine during his surgery this past week. Again, I don’t have time for a long journal update (Hey! Was that a sigh of relief I heard from someone out there?!) but I wanted to let everyone know the surgery went very well and he is back at home today. We both appreciate the well wishes, a lot.

We drove up Tuesday, he had the surgery on Wednesday, I stuck around until Thursday afternoon trying to “help” him (which somehow loosely translates to digging in the car for spare change so I could sneak to the vending machine downstairs and buy him twenty bazillion cups of coffee despite the nurses insisting he was on a “clear” liquid diet the first two days). Then, Thursday I drove the three hours home because the kids had Field Day scheduled for Friday and heaven forbid I miss an event as exciting and important as the yearly Field Day. Naturally, it goes without saying, Field Day was rained out this year, so Saturday morning (I guess that was today…. It seems so long ago!) I drove back up to Augusta to pick him up and bring him home.

I can’t believe that in my last journal entry about him cutting all his hair off I forgot to mention this great piece of hair-related news: our friend Erin R. ALSO had a pretty substantial haircut last week – donating EIGHT inches to Locks of Love! She looks fabulous and her hair is so thick I know they will be able to help lots of kids with her selfless contribution. Way to go, Erin!

And in the “it’s a small freakin’ world”-category, Blaine’s roommate at the hospital this week was a very nice gentleman whose grand-daughter was diagnosed two years ago, at age 5, with ALL. She relapsed while on treatment and had a BMT, and is now a happy, healthy 7 yr old, doing great. What are the odds, huh? But it’s always encouraging to hear success stories, so we certainly appreciated him sharing with us.

Well, I’m off for the night. My mom is only here for a few more days and I hope to enjoy some “girl” time with her before she goes (Percocet shouldn’t impair his ability to watch all three kids while she and I go to the movies, should it?) and I’ll update again after she leaves.

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
Love, Kristie

No comments: