Monday, April 26, 2004

Hair, Hair, Everywhere. Um, no, never mind.

I’m sorry this journal entry is so short, but we have been out of town the past three weekends and in between packing, unpacking and all the laundry in between, my computer time has been cut brutally short (something I am kicking and screaming about, let me tell you! When did I become so dependent on technology??? It’s a sad state of affairs, I tell you--- but I digress.)

I am currently packing to leave yet again tomorrow for four or five days, so I wanted to pop this journal entry up quickly and ask all of you so inclined to please say a prayer for my husband Blaine as he prepares for surgery on Wednesday. He and I will be traveling to Augusta (about three hours from here, where his doctors are located at Ft. Gordon Military Hospital …. I really should quit bitching about my four-hour drive with Kendrie, since he drives six-hours round trip almost every week!) In case you are not familiar with our story, here is the Reader’s Digest Condensed Version:

***Kendrie's leukemia diagnosis in October of 2003 was actually Part 2 of the "Our Crappy Year" festival. Part 1 took place in March when it was discovered Blaine had a malignant tumor filling up one of his sinus cavities. I won't go into great (ie, boring) detail except to say the surgery to remove the tumor was very invasive and he also had to have quite a bit of facial-structure removed at the same time the surgeons removed the tumor --- cheekbone, gums, teeth, etc. So, one year later, still cancer-free, Blaine prepared for his first reconstructive surgery, to rebuild his cheekbone with bone from his skull.

Knowing full well they would have to shave his head to get to the skull, we made a huge production out of Daddy going "Bald" like Kendrie. Scheduled the appointment with my hairdresser, talked it up with the kids, eagerly awaited the appointment (Kendrie especially was very excited) only to have the surgeon say to Blaine, "What? Shave your head?? We don't do that anymore."

Yikes!!!

But a promise is a promise and being the excellent father that he is, Blaine went ahead with the new 'do. The kids had a blast, especially the part where they got to take helm of the clippers and do a little damage themselves. Personally, I like the new look. The Mohawk I wasn't so crazy about, but overall it's pretty cool. Now let's wait and see if he keeps it, or grows it back out after the surgery!***

















So that’s it in a nutshell. Drop us a line in the guestbook and let us know what you think: keep it short, or grow it back out to the long, flowing length that Uncle Sam lets him keep? (ha!)

Many public thanks to Grandma McClung for (once again!) dropping everything and flying out here to stay with the kids.

I hope you all have a great week and I’ll update when we get back later this weekend.

Much love, Kristie
########################################################
KENDRIE'S PERSPECTIVE:

BEST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: My grandma brought me a new copy of "Cheaper By The Dozen" and I got to watch it in the car on my way to my clinic appointment today --- twice!!!

WORST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: I had to share my new dvd with my stinkin' brother and sister when we got home tonight. Boo!

No comments: