Sunday, January 25, 2004

SUPERMAN; SUPERDORK!

First of all, I have a few thank-you’s to toss around. One, to all the parents (and a few spouses, too) who let me add their Caring Bridge sites to our List of 100. Also, to the many wonderful people who took time to visit and sign guestbooks. I quickly came to realize that visiting all 100 sites was a teensy bit time consuming, to say the least. Attesting to this are my messy house, a mountain of dirty laundry, and the fact I fed my family Froot Loops for dinner last night. BUT! I made it to all 100 sites and signed all the guestbooks! (with a few exceptions; those non-CB sites that didn’t have guestbooks)

A couple of people have asked that I leave the list up a bit longer to give them more time to visit. No problem! I’ll leave the quiz up as well. Regarding the quiz answers, I have gotten a few private e-mails with “Answer Key” in the subject line, which I at first thought were people sending me their quiz answers. I soon realized they were actually spam because a) they looked like spam when I opened them, and b) they were quickly followed, from the same e-mail addresses, with lovely advertisements regarding the always-exciting male genitalia. So! If you want to send me the answers to the quiz, please put “CB” in the subject line so I don’t accidentally hyperlink myself to a Paris Hilton video. No offense to Paris, but there's a time and a place for everything. This just isn't it.

Remember, you have 24 hours more to finish up your 100, or get the quiz right, and I’ll make a donation to Caring Bridge in your name --- just let me know!

I’ve changed the front photo to one taken this weekend of Kendrie, in her new t-shirt sent by our dear friends Gary and Lisa D. from Illinois. Although you can’t see it in the picture, the logo on the shirt says “Scott AFB Blood Services”. This was the shirt Gary received for donating blood last week; he then sent the shirt to Kendrie, which I thought was icing on the cake (the cake being that he went down and donated blood in the first place!) Thank you, Gary and Lisa!

In the Put Up or Shut Up category, I also donated blood on Friday, and would like to encourage the rest of you to donate as soon as you can. I’ve heard some amazingly LAME excuses for why people can’t/won’t/don’t donate in the past few weeks. Whatever. I had a six-year window where four pregnancies and three tattoos threw me out of the running as well, but I’m back in the game now, every 56 days. Thanks to the rest of you who have taken the time, and gone to the effort. It means more than you can know!

Kendrie’s appointment on Friday went great. Blaine took her for the first time by himself (although did I accomplish anything productive that day by myself besides donating blood? No!) He was impressed, and said she handled all the chemo like a pro. In fact, while Nurse Mary was injecting her iv meds, Kendrie overheard the dramatic mud-pit scene from Homeward Bound on the tv in the playroom (you know, where Shadow falls in the mud pit and Chance and Sassy are begging him to get up and he falls back down…”I’m just too old” and then Chance jumps down there and says, “You got me this far, now I’m taking you the rest of the way; I WON’T let you give up!” …. Ah, I’m getting all goose-bumpy just thinking about it) ps. Can you tell we’ve watched Homeward Bound about a BILLION times in the past three months??? Anyway, Kendrie heard the movie and took off down the hall to see her favorite scene, never mind that she was accessed and receiving an IV push at the same time. Blaine said Mary just ran after her (what choice did she really have?) and finished up the meds in the playroom. Her counts were great, and we now have a two-week wait before her next visit, which will be the start of her Delayed Intensification Phase (boring medical details to follow in my next journal entry.)

So, one last silly story before I sign off for the evening. Tonight, the kids decided they wanted to put on a “show” for Blaine and me. Around our house, a “show” usually consists of the kids spending half an hour getting their costumes on and practicing in their bedroom (ah. Peace!) and then they stand in the living room and whisper to one another “what am I supposed to say?” and “I can’t remember what to do” all the while Blaine and I sit back, looking entertained and fascinated by their inherent dramatic acting skills. Tonight’s show seemed to be (I’m still not sure, but this was the gist of it) a heroine (Brayden) dressed in a red silk ball gown (looking suspiciously like her Halloween costume) trapped in a burning building, and two heroes (Kendrie and Kellen, blatantly using their Superman Halloween costumes, as well) who were supposed to (I think, this is where it gets a little confusing) fly around the room screaming at the top of their lungs before rescuing afore-mentioned heroine. Rescuing seemed to consist of pulling her out of the “building” (made of air) and then running around screaming some more. But half-way through, apparently Hero #2 (Kellen) forgot his lines and was just sort of running around squealing. In an attempt to prompt this Broadway-wannabe, Blaine said, “Kellen, what would Superman say in this situation?” and Kellen starts yelling at the top of his lungs, “CALL 9-1-1 !! CALL 9-1-1 !!!”

Oh my gosh. Let’s hope I’m never trapped in a burning building in need of a superhero.

Thanks for stopping by our website, and especially thank you for stopping by the other CB sites as well! Take care, Kristie
#######################################################
KENDRIE'S PERSPECTIVE:

WORST THING ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: Bactrim on the weeknds. Ick. Need I say more?

BEST THING ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: With my dinosaur dress and matching hat, I was the cutest 4-yr old at church today!

No comments: