Tuesday, September 27, 2005

LIVE A LITTLE, GIVE A LITTLE

Around the world in 80 days

Hey, if someone was able to fly a hot-air balloon around the world for 80 days, enduring wind changes, cold temperatures, dodging high wires and small planes, and avoiding territorial high-altitude birds, surely we can plug along for 80 more days of chemotherapy treatment, right?

This update will be brief. Now, when you are finished sobbing into your Starbucks napkins (oh, wait, those were tears of joy???) I’ll explain: In an effort to cut gasoline costs, the governor of Georgia made the request that all public schools be closed on Monday and Tuesday of this week. Something to do with the gas expense of filling up the buses for transportation, yadda yadda. What this means -- basically -- to us stay-at-home moms, is two sudden, unplanned, never-ending days of bored children and waaaaayyyy too many hours stretching out before us. Sure, in the summer, you’re prepared. You’ve got a plan; a strategy. But two days, in late September, no warning, mid-week, just *launched* at me like that?? What’s that about?? I mean, do these people expect me to ENTERTAIN these kids for two days???

So, anyway, my point is that after having my 39th birthday earlier this month, I suddenly am unable to stay awake past 9pm at night. And now that my free time during the day, while my children are USUALLY in school, has been depleted-- you, the faithful Caringbridge readers, are stuck with a two-paragraph update this week. Well, three or four now, now that I’ve been rambling and complaining like I have.

Thanks so much to everyone who took part in the Chili’s Live A Little, Give A Little campaign. Kendrie enjoyed the peppers that were made for her, and we had a great time at dinner last night at our local Chili’s. We got to sit near Jay, from Macon, who is an actual patient at St. Judes and brought quite a crowd out to support the fundraiser. (Cindy, somebody at your table left a Matchbox car on the floor and the hostess took it!)

We got to share our dinner with our friends Renee’ and Keith and their boys Kody and Ryan (the ones whose hunting clothes Kendrie tries to steal every time we go to their house) and also with our Caringbridge friend Haley and her family. Haley lives in Tennessee, but is treated at Egleston while awaiting her liver transplant. Either way you slice it, she and her parents Cheryl and Bruce drove a long way for dinner! We really enjoyed spending time with you, though, and are grateful you made the drive.

Thanks also to Mercer student Holly who came over and introduced herself to us at the restaurant (Amanda, you should have come over! We would have loved to meet you, too!) Holly, you might not have realized it, but I was about five seconds away from snatching my kids bald-headed due to their obnoxious behavior. Your perfectly timed arrival prevented what would most likely have been an ugly scene --- thanks for your introduction, and your wonderful timing!! If anyone hears how much Chili’s wound up donating to St. Judes, I would love to know.

“Snatch you bald-headed” ….. that was a threat my mom issued to my sister and me while growing up on more occasions than I can count. In light of the duck fuzz, maybe it’s not appropriate for me to say to my children, but it’s one of my favorite phrases and I just can’t help myself.

Ooops. See? Now you’ve got six paragraphs. What with the extra rambling and all.

My kids are going back to school tomorrow. I don’t care if the whole state is out of gas and I have to strap all three of them to my back and carry them myself. I'll balance them on my head like those Ugandan women carry pots of water. I can almost hear the silence now ……. (blissful sigh)

Take care,

Kristie
***********************************************
KENDRIE’S PERSPECTIVE:

WORST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: OK, what is UP with this rash all over my body? It’s mainly my face, neck and shoulders. Mom keeps mumbling something about a methotrexate rash, but I have no idea what that means. She keeps lubing me up with some greasy lotion that makes me shinier than Donatella Versace and it’s still itching anyway! Aaaggghhhh!

BEST PART ABOUT HAVING CANCER TODAY: I am still basking in the glow of Mr. Bruce and Mrs. Cheryl telling my mom last night how cute I am. Of course, they haven’t seen me today, fighting and arguing and wrestling with Brayden and Kellen ….. somebody please tell me I can go back to school tomorrow! I know Mommy will be sad, sad, sad, and missing us all day, but it’s really what I want to do, no matter how difficult it is for her.

No comments: