Tuesday, January 06, 2004

"Kids that are bald-headed don't go to school"

Well, thanks to the timing of this cycle of chemotherapy, this week is the first in quite some time that hasn't included a clinic visit --- so what the heck am I supposed to write about? Heaven knows no-one in our family has done anything funny enough, or cute enough, or interesting enough to warrant comment ........... oh, wait. There were a few interesting questions raised by our very own girl-genius (NOT) Kendrie!

Situation #1: We were discussing our trip to Atlanta last week, and getting to see our cousins who live there. Kendrie has a 5-yr old cousin named Shelby and when I mentioned her name, Kendrie said, "Shelby lives in Atlanta?" and I said yes, and Kendrie said, "does she have a port like me, or get needles in her arm?" and I said "Shelby doesn't have a port OR get needles" to which Kendrie replied, (in a "you are so STUPID Mom" tone of voice), "Well, she lives in Atlanta, so she has leukemia like me!" --------I guess when your cancer clinic is in Atlanta and your mom and dad talk about going to Atlanta once a week, you assume everyone who lives there must have cancer, just like you!

Situation #2: We were watching the beginning of the Sugar Bowl and they were showing pictures of all the starting players. Every few players, Kendrie would blurt out, "Hey! He has leukemia just like me!" and finally I said, "Kendrie, what makes you think they all have leukemia?" and she replied (again with the stupid-mother tone, which is getting on my nerves if you want to be honest about it) "Well they're all bald-headed like I am!" Hmmm, if this reasoning does indeed prove true, it's bad news for Grandpa McClung and Grandpa Escoe! And football players everywhere, please reconsider shaving your heads --- you're confusing my daughter!

and finally, Situation #3: Brayden and Kellen return to school tomorrow; their first day back after the holiday break. We were talking about going back to school (my lame attempt to prepare them for the shock of having to actually get up and get ready for school in the morning, as opposed to playing on the computer until lunchtime) and Kellen asked if Kendrie was going back to school tomorrow also. Although Blaine and I had decided to keep her home with me for the rest of this year, we hadn't really talked about it out loud, so I was surprised to hear her explain to him (using a "you're so stupid, Kellen" tone, which hey, at least it wasn't directed at me this time) "no, kids who are bald-headed don't have to go to school" I hope she forgets that idea come time for school next fall, when she's still bald-headed, but IS going!

Thanks to all of you for checking in, and especially for signing the guestbook. We love reading the messages and want to say thanks, especially if you sign often. The more, the better! Happy New Year to all! love, Kristie
#######################################################

KENDRIE'S 2004 NEW YEARS RESOLUTION: "Well, let's see. I don't need to lose weight, or organize my closet, or throw myself into my career, especially since I don't really have a career (unless you count printing Stanley activity sheets on the computer). Hmmm. Maybe, with the help of my family, friends, doctors and nurses, I'll just concentrate on kicking a little ALL ass!"

No comments: